West Parry Sound Recreation and Cultural Centre
The purpose of the Board is to construct, maintain and operate the West Parry Sound Recreation and Cultural Centre. The Board acts as an agent on behalf of six area municipalities: The Archipelago, Carling, McDougall, McKellar, Parry Sound and Seguin, and two non-voting First Nations: Shawanaga and Wasauksing. The Municipality of Whitestone is a donor to the Centre, and will have a separate agreement with the Board.
The Board was established by agreement executed by the participating municipalities on September 10th, 2021, the culmination of decades of effort and interest in building a pool in the West Parry Sound Area. The $32 million capital project is being funded at 73% through an Investing in Canada Infrastructure (ICIP) grant. The six participating partner municipalities are contributing the remaining 27% based on an allocation formula that recognizes population, number of households, taxable assessment and driving distance. Ongoing operation of the Centre will use the same funding formula.
Amenities to be included in the Centre are:
- Four Lane/25 M pool
- Leisure/Therapeutic Pool with defined play area/amenities and relaxation area
- Sauna - off Pool Deck
- Gymnasium – small size, 3 pickleball courts.
- Walking Track – 2 lane 100m, within Fitness Area
- Common Area with Vending Machines
- Viewing Areas (Pool & Gymnasium)- local viewing from ground floor lobby
- Fitness – 5000 sf Fitness Area, plus 1500 sf Studio
- Multi-purpose (MP) Rooms- 2 Small MP, 1 Medium MP, 1 Large divisible MP Room
Board meetings are open to the public, are live streamed and recorded. If the meeting is currently streaming, click here to view it on YouTube. To see a playlist of all recorded Board meetings on YouTube, click here.
To view agendas and minutes of the Board, click here.
The Wellness Centre & Pool Committee (WCPC), is composed of an appointed Mayor/Reeve or Council Member from each of the seven Parry Sound Area Municipalities. From the WCPC Terms of Reference, the Committee has a mandate to "gather information, undertake studies and conduct other analysis, sufficient for the Committee to make a 'Go, No-Go' recommendation to the respective participating Councils to proceed with the construction of the Wellness Centre & Pool."
Per the decision-making governance structure, the WCPC makes recommendations for adoption by each member municipality. The WCPC is supported by a Steering Committee composed of the seven area municipal Chief Administrative Officers. A Citizens Advisory Committee, composed of nine members of the public bringing different skills sets and expertise, reports to the Steering Committee.
The firm CS&P Architects were the successful bidders on an RFP and as of early October, 2019 are undertaking due diligence work regarding site selection, understanding what the community’s needs are, capital costs based on those needs and the location, servicing costs and a business plan to address operating costs once it is built. The seven area municipalities agreed on a cost sharing formula to undertake the due diligence work.
The WCPC meetings are open to the public, are live streamed and recorded. If the meeting is currently streaming, click here to view it on YouTube. To see a playlist of all recorded WCPC meetings on YouTube, click here.
PROJECT PRESS RELEASES & IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS
- West Parry Sound Area Recreation and Culture Centre ICIP Grant Application Background Document - June 7, 2021
- West Parry Sound Area Recreation And Culture Centre Funding Announcement - June 7, 2021
- Media Release - Public Consultation - June 24, 2020
- Online Presentation - West Parry Sound Area Recreation and Culture Centre
- Citizens' Advisory Committee Survey Open July 1st to July 14, 2020
For more information, please click on the following links:
WCPC AGENDA AND MINUTES
|October 9, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 28, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 6, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 13, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 19, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 22, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 8, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 3, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 8, 2021||Agenda|
To reach out to the Wellness Centre & Pool Citizens Advisory Committee please contact Tom Lundy by Email or phone 416-550-3434.
AGENDA AND MINUTES
|November 27, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 9, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 13, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 18, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 3, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 4, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 11, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|