Be assured that the Township of The Archipelago and its partners will work together to respond to any urgent situation. When the unexpected occurs, you play an important role as well. Review our helpful resources and ensure that you and your family are prepared.
Before an emergency strikes, take steps to
prepare you and your family. There are many things that you can do to
ensure that your family will be able to survive any type of disaster.
- Take a First Aid/CPR course (contact the Red Cross or St. John Ambulance for course information).
- Prepare an Emergency Survival Kit and keep it well stocked. Ensure that it contains necessities for your pets and for seniors who live with you.
- Know the emergency contact phone numbers and keep them handy.
- Practice your emergency plan often and ensure that your children are familiar with it.
- Prepare yourself for different types of emergency situations so you'll know what to do whatever the disaster.
What to do in an Emergency:
- Keep Calm.
- Listen for Municipal and Police Announcements on either 103.3 Moose FM or the Township's website.(www.thearchipelago.on.ca) if accessible.
- Weather information is available on 88.9 FM.
- Marine information, monitor VHF Channel 16 (Marinas monitor 68).
- Leave immediately.
- Take your emergency survival kit with you.
- Listen to the radio and follow instructions from local emergency officials.
- If instructed to do so, shut off water, gas and electricity.
- Make arrangements for your pets.
- Wear clothes and shoes appropriate to conditions.
- Lock the house.
- Follow the routes specified by officials, NO shortcuts. A shortcut could lead you to a blocked or dangerous area.
- If time allows, leave a note telling others when you left and where you went. A possible location where the note could be left is a mailbox, if you have one.
- When you reach your destination, sign up with the registration centre so you can be contacted or reunited with family members.