Emergency Preparedness

In accordance with the Emergency Management and Civic Protection Act, every municipality in Ontario is required to have an Emergency Plan.  The Township of The Archipelago's Emergency Management Program and Emergency Response Plan was developed in conjunction with the Town of Parry Sound, Municipality of McDougall, and the Townships of Carling, McKellar and Seguin.  Please see By-law 2020-05 to review The Archipelago's Emergency Response Plan.

Be assured that the Township of The Archipelago and its partners will work together to respond to any urgent situation. When the unexpected occurs, you play an important role as well. Review our helpful resources and ensure that you and your family are prepared. 

Private Road Maintenance & Emergency Services

Please note: If you are using your property during the winter months it is your responsibility to maintain your private road to allow access for emergency services. The Archipelago will NOT maintain a private road in an emergency.  It will be the property owner's responsibility to hire a private contractor to clear a road should there be an emergency.

The Township has installed "Private Road” signage at the entrance to all private roads to make EMS and visitors aware that the road is not municipally maintained.

Be Prepared!

Before an emergency strikes, take steps to prepare you and your family. There are many things that you can do to ensure that your family will be able to survive any type of disaster.

  • Take a First Aid/CPR course (contact the Red Cross or St. John Ambulance for course information).
  • Prepare an Emergency Survival Kit and keep it well stocked. Ensure that it contains necessities for your pets and for seniors who live with you.
  • Know the emergency contact phone numbers and keep them handy.
  • Practice your emergency plan often and ensure that your children are familiar with it.
  • Prepare yourself for different types of emergency situations so you'll know what to do whatever the disaster.
When a disaster strikes do not assume that emergency services will not be available, but recognize that demands on them may be so great that calls may not be responded to immediately. In rural communities with great distances between centres, it is critical that we are able to fend for ourselves and help our neighbours in times of emergencies.

The following are a few tips that can help you and your family and friends get through such an emergency.

What to do in an Emergency:

  • Keep Calm.
  • Listen for Municipal and Police Announcements on either 103.3 Moose FM or the Township's website.(www.thearchipelago.on.ca) if accessible.
  • Weather information is available on 88.9 FM.
  • Marine information, monitor VHF Channel 16 (Marinas monitor 68).
Follow direction of Emergency Personnel.


In most emergencies, the best thing to do is to stay where you are and monitor the situation. If evacuation is necessary, emergency personnel through radio, television or door-to-door contact will convey information. If you are instructed to leave:

  • Leave immediately.
  • Take your emergency survival kit with you.
  • Listen to the radio and follow instructions from local emergency officials.
  • If instructed to do so, shut off water, gas and electricity.
  • Make arrangements for your pets.
  • Wear clothes and shoes appropriate to conditions.
  • Lock the house.
  • Follow the routes specified by officials, NO shortcuts. A shortcut could lead you to a blocked or dangerous area.
  • If time allows, leave a note telling others when you left and where you went. A possible location where the note could be left is a mailbox, if you have one.
  • When you reach your destination, sign up with the registration centre so you can be contacted or reunited with family members.

For information on Provincial Emergency Planning, visit the Ministry of Community Safety and Correction Services web site at

In an emergency call 9-1-1 and ask for Police or Ambulance

When connected to the appropriate agency, you will be asked to explain your emergency.  For more information on what happens when you call, please review Calling 9-1-1.

PLEASE ensure that your 9-1-1 sign is properly posted and clearly visible so that your property can be quickly located in an emergency. If you do not have a 9-1-1 sign, contact the Township office to get one.

Power Outages

To report a power outage, call Hydro One 1-800-434-1235 or report online at https://www.hydroone.com/power-outages-and-safety.

Emergency Kits

Basic Survival Kit